Rules: Regional Heats
- Applicants must be a Canadian Citizen/Permanent Resident.
- An entrant must be 28 years old or younger on October 31, 2019.
- Applicants are expected to have passed Cook Level 1, 2 or 3 in accordance with the Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Program. However, if an applicant does not yet possess these qualifications, an exception can be made in special circumstances. Supporting documentation and references will be required from existing or past employers. Please contact us to inquire further.
- Previous competitors are eligible to apply, previous winners are not.
- Multiple submissions from one restaurant/hotel are permitted.
- Applicants are required to enter the Regional Heat closest, in distance, to their place of residence. Exceptions can be made in certain circumstances. Please contact us to inquire further.
- Employees of Hawksworth Restaurant Group are not eligible to compete in this competition.
- Competitors will begin in groups of two and be staggered at 5 minute intervals.
- Each competitor will be given 30-minutes for station set up, immediately prior to beginning the 90-minute cook time.
- During station set up, competitors are not allowed to touch or weigh out any ingredients.
- Heating work surfaces and/or boiling water is permitted during station set up.
- Competitors will then be given 90 minutes to complete four identical dishes.
- The competition will have a “hard stop” rule, however, there will be a 60 second “grace period” on either side of the designated finish time.
- Plates finished prior to the 60 seconds will not be picked up and taken to the judges until the designated time.
- If competitors exceed the 60 second grace time following the designated finish time, competitors will be asked to stop working and the plates will be picked up and presented to the judges as they are.
- Four identical main course plates must be completed within the given time frame.
- The plates must be identical to the recipe and work plan that was submitted with the competitor’s application.
- Main course plates must represent an à la carte-sized portion with the inclusion of the following: 120 grams of the mandatory protein listed in the pantry ingredients, one starch, two vegetable garnishes and one sauce.
- Each competitor will have a kitchen assistant to act as a runner/dishwasher.
- The assistant is there to help gather food items or equipment and to assist with washing dishes or equipment.
- The assistant may not be involved in any food preparation and/or plating.
- The assistant is permitted to weigh out ingredients.
- Competitors are expected to treat assistants with leadership and respect.
- The common pantry will be listed on the website and will be the only ingredients available to the competitors.
- The common pantry will be shared and will be located in an area convenient to all competitors.
- Competitors may only use ingredients from the pantry list and are not permitted to bring any outside ingredients.
- Competitors are not permitted to bring any prepared food to the competition. Any transgression of this rule will result in immediate disqualification.
- Competitors must exercise discretion when retrieving ingredients from the pantry, and only take what is needed for their dish, being cautious of waste.
- Each workstation will be set with specific individual equipment and will be identical for each competitor.
- Shared equipment will be in a location convenient to all competitors and is to be kept by the competitor only for the amount of time that it is needed. Equipment must be cleaned and put back after use, so other competitors have access to it.
- Personal equipment, being brought from outside, must be pre-approved through email prior to the competition day.
- Equipment that has not been pre-approved may be confiscated.
- 12-inch rimless white plates will be supplied for plating.
- Outside plates or dishware is not permitted for plating, however, is allowed for use during the preparation of the dish.
- During the competition, devices with internet access are not allowed. If a timer or calculator is needed please bring a personal one.
- Personal recipe books are permitted.
- PLEASE REFER TO EQUIPMENT LIST FOR SPECIFICS. Note that most standard equipment will be permitted. For example, plastic wrap, tin foil, pastry scraper, parchment etc are not listed however will most definitely be permitted. If you have any concerns or need clarification please inquire.
The Winner will be selected based on:
- Creative use of ingredients
- Taste and presentation of food
- Cleanliness of work and kitchen etiquette
- Leadership and demeanour towards kitchen assistant
- Adherence to the recipe and work plan submitted with the application
- Judging will be conducted as a “blind tasting”
- All dishes that enter the tasting room will be marked with a number and remain anonymous